Our days and nights are full of work, homework, getting the kids to practices, and ready for school the next day so you can repeat again. Finding shortcuts or tricks to make things go easier but maintaining healthy lunches and dinners are sometimes easier said that done! Over the years we have found a few short cuts and I hope you find them helpful.
1. COOK AHEAD – This one is my favorite. We are a family of 3 so we don’t require a mountain of food at super. We also aren’t huge leftover eaters. I have learned that if make a big batch of something, I can keep some out for a few nights and freeze the rest!! That way when we have a crazy day a few weeks later or someone is working late, etc. I can pull it out the morning of and let it thaw out so all I have to do is warm it up! Saves a ton of time!
2. Make ahead lunches. You can do this for kids and adults alike. Our child loves homemade lunchables. I get deli ham, a cheese stick, and some crackers and put them in a sandwich container. If you have more than one sandwich container you can make several lunches and stack them in the fridge. I also do this for grapes, pudding, raisins – get small containers to fill them up store them in the proper place. I’ve also taken snack size baggies and filled up a weeks worth of whatever snacks or desserts she is going to have so all I have to do is pull one of each and load the lunchbox.
3. Allow your child to help pick their clothes out for multiple days. Sometimes we lay out the whole week but honestly we usually do it for 2-3 days out. Because we live in the South, the weather can be unpredictable at times so I find it’s easier to do it for about 1/2 the week.
4. Get your afterschool activity stuff ready – have your child lay out their leotard or whatever sport outfit they need before they go to school (or the night before) so that as soon as they get home they can get changed and aren’t scrambling to find what they need.
5. Lay out your work clothes – Moms and Dads this will help you out too. Now, I’m too flighty to lay out more than one day ahead for me – I change my mind to much. However, it will save you time and headaches if you go ahead and figure it all out the night before…..usually I even do it while my favorite show is on commercial. Multi-tasking!!!