My family loves Mexican dishes! I love easy, healthy, and tasty dishes! This recipe gets checks in all the right boxes! It’s easy and you make your own enchilada sauce which cuts down on the processed foods. I looked at several different recipes before I settled on this one. I was concerned that it might be a little bland so I of course tweaked it to fit our taste….I tweaked it a little too spicy so I’ll tone it down next time. For the original recipe, go here.
What you Need:
- 10 taco size soft flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups shredded (or finely chopped), cooked chicken
- 3 cups cheese – shredded (we just Colby-Jack)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4oz medium can diced green chillies (optional)
- 1 can Rotel (well drained)
- dash of cilantro
- dash of cumin
- dash of chilli powder
- dash of parsley flakes
- 1.5 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/4 of onion diced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
TIME SAVER: Stop by the store and pick up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken!
1. Spray skillet with non-stick spray. Dice chicken and onion and place in skillet. Cook chicken until done….set to the side.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
4. Whisk flour into butter and cook for 1 minute over heat.
5. Add broth and whisk together. Add in garlic, and spices. Cook over heat until it’s thick and bubbles.
6. While that’s cooking and getting bubbly – combine chicken (if you cooked it, then finely chop it before this step), Rotel, and 1ish cup of cheese. We always add more cheese than the recipe calls for. =-)
8. Fill tortillas with the mixture above and roll each one and place them seam down in a greased 9×13 pan.
9 Whisk sour cream and chilies into the sauce. (be careful it’s not too hot or the sour cream will curdle).
10. Pour over enchiladas.
11. Bake in oven for 20 minutes then take out and add the rest of the cheese. Bake an additional 5ish minutes until nice and bubbly. Then broil until cheese browns just a little.